Tuesday, July 24, 2012

It's a frozen krimpets kind of day...

July 24, 2012

Hi everyone! It's me, Morgan!


I thought today would be a great day to tell about my great grandmom, Mom Mom McLoone. Today would have been her 100th birthday!

Well...maybe.

Mom Mom McLoone put her birth year as 1911 on her grave stone. But, my Pop says it's actually 1912. Pop Pop McLoone was a little bit older (16 years!), so sometimes she changed the dates on things to make them closer in age.

Anyway, my Mom has been telling me lots of fun things about Mom Mom McLoone. Wait, did you know I'm named after her? Her name was Rose! She was from Ireland and had a really neat Irish brogue.

My Mom is about my age in this photo of her and Mom Mom.


Mom says that Pop used to take her and my aunt and uncles to see her Mom Mom almost every Saturday. She says they always parked on the alley behind her house and came in through the basement. And Mom Mom was always waiting at the top of the stairs. Her house always smelled like gas, 'cause sometimes she forgot to turn off the stove. The peanut butter was located under the sink and there were always Chips-A-Hoy cookies in the sugar jar and pretzel rods in the flour jar.

My Mom and Dad brought some to their wedding!
There were Tastycake Butterscotch Krimpets, rainbow sherbet, and chocolate and vanilla ice cream Dixie cups in the freezer, and ginger ale in the fridge. She made the best roast beef and there was always pepper in the salt shaker and salt in the pepper shaker.

Mom told me they used to play with an old fashioned hair dryer in the basement, roller skate down there, and she and Aunt Susan played dress up in Mom Mom's clothes and jewelry. There was a 5 and 10 store on the corner where they used to get candy, and they listened to the same oldies tape on the car ride down and back. Mom Mom lived near Charlie's Pizza, which my Mom tells me is the very best pizza ever and I will eat it immediately when I get some teeth. I can't wait!

Tomorrow marks the 23rd anniversary of when Mom Mom went to Heaven to see Pop Pop McLoone. Mom says she thinks of her all the time, and more now that I'm here! She says my red hair and blue eyes and my Garvin nose remind her of Mom Mom every day and that she misses her all the time. She knows Mom Mom would have loved me sooooooo much!

Mom promised to have a car ride dance party with me this afternoon to her most favorite Mom Mom song and maybe later we'll have a frozen krimpet toast!


XOXO,
Morgan

1 comment:

  1. Just so you know, Morgan,the date on the gravestone is 1912. My current thinking is that 1912 is likely correct. We have no birth certificate; just a life insurance applicaton from the 1920s with 1911 on it. But when you emigrate to the US by yourself as a teenager in the 1920s, it was likely better to be thought of as sixteen rather than fifteen.

    ReplyDelete